Consumer Case

Refund of admission fees by college

I had paid admission fees of Rs. 85000/- to a Pune nursing college in respect of my daughter\'s training on July 20, 2015. The course was to commence on 01/09/2015. As per the prospectus, the charges were not refundable. However, much before the commencement of the course, the admission was cancelled by a mobile message on the ground that the original educational certificates could not be submitted to them in time. I had sent two consecutive letters praying for refund of money deposited by me. But there were no replies. In response to my third letter, their legal personnel replied in a line that money was not refundable as per the prospectus. Please advise whom I can approach for this. You have kindly advised to file a suit before the court. May I request for a further specifically advice as to whether I should approach a normal court or district consumers forum ?

Expert Advice

2. But first of all you have to show the prospectus to your lawyer and understand in what cases the amount can be refunded. Also if the admission is illegitimately cancelled by the college then you are entitled to get your money back. Your lawyer should send a notice to the college and file a consumer complaint.

Did you find this helpful?YES

You have to redress the issue before a Consumer Court. The consumer complaint has to be filed before District forum where the college is located. But first it is advisable to send a legal notice to the college stating all the facts and demanding refund.

Did you find this helpful?YES

DISCLAIMER: The guidance provided above by the lawyers is based solely on the limited information made available to them by the respective querist. These answers are general guidelines and not specific legal advice or legal opinion. All answers are made in individual capacity and do not reflect the opinions of any employer or organisation. Kindly refer to MyLegalWork's Terms & Conditions of use.

Need Legal Help?

Get legal help before its too late! Our legal experts help about 200+ people evryday with the right legal help. All the experts are verified legal professionals with minimum experience of 3 years.

Get Legal Help

Get Legal Help