Single sided divorce

I'm 25 years old and during my college time when I was 21, I did a court marriage with my boyfriend who was 25. This was without our parents approval. Now things are getting messy and he's not ready to leave me but I can't stay with him any longer. Can I get divorce from court alone and without my husband's intervention?

Expert Advice

Getting divorce from husband without his involvement is not possible, irrespective of the personal laws applicable to you. If you are a Hindu you may either file a divorce by mutual consent, if you husband is agreeable to such option or you may file a divorce petition under Section 13 of Hindu Marriage Act. The legal recourse will differ if you belong to a different religion but nonetheless, seeking divorce without involvement of you husband is legally untenable.

Did you find this helpful?YES

Adv. Parul Sharma

N. K. Sharma & Partners
Santacruz East , Mumbai

DISCLAIMER: The guidance provided above by the lawyers is based solely on the limited information made available to them by the respective querist. These answers are general guidelines and not specific legal advice or legal opinion. All answers are made in individual capacity and do not reflect the opinions of any employer or organisation. Kindly refer to MyLegalWork's Terms & Conditions of use.

Need Legal Help?

Get legal help before its too late! Our legal experts help about 200+ people evryday with the right legal help. All the experts are verified legal professionals with minimum experience of 3 years.

Get Legal Help

Get Legal Help