Divorce

Sister facing abuse by husband for 5 years

My sister (34 y.o.) has been married for 10 years. Everyday, her husband hits her and abuses her using foul language because she joined a job against his wishes 5 years ago. He forcibly took her debit card and pin, and withdraws her full salary as soon as it is credited. He also deprives her of matrimonial joy. My sister has mentally broken down, and wants to get out of this marriage. But she is not financially independent (i.e. she has no savings). How can she get out of this relationship and restart her life again? Thank you. Priya.

Expert Advice

Your sister can register a complaint under the Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act, 2005. She can approach the nearest police station and register her complaint. From the facts mentioned by you, a case of economic abuse, mental abuse and physical abuse is made out against your brother-in-law.

1 person found this helpful, did you? YES

DISCLAIMER: The guidance provided above by the lawyers is based solely on the limited information made available to them by the respective querist. These answers are general guidelines and not specific legal advice or legal opinion. All answers are made in individual capacity and do not reflect the opinions of any employer or organisation. Kindly refer to MyLegalWork's Terms & Conditions of use.

Need Legal Help?

Get legal help before its too late! Our legal experts help about 200+ people evryday with the right legal help. All the experts are verified legal professionals with minimum experience of 3 years.

Get Legal Help

Get Legal Help