Domestic Violence

PROBLEM IN MARRIAGE

I have been married for 6 years. My husband hits me and talks lowly of my family, especially about my father. One day, after a strong beating, I called my father and we went to the police. There the police told me that my husband had already filed a police complaint against me and my dad that we abused him verbally and physically. We filed our complaint and left. My husband has now thrown me out of the house and tells me to take my compliant back if I want to stay with him. But I'm not sure whether he will take me back. If I take back the complaint and he changes his decision then can I again file my complaint? Will taking back my complaint weaken my case in the future? Can I take my clothes and other things from the house when he is at office or will it create further legal problems?

Expert Advice

Since you are talking about taking back your things, it looks like you have made up your mind about seeking a divorce. Once you file for divorce you shall have the opportunity to list all the items that are left at your marital house, in the petition. If there are instances of any genuine domestic violence then report the same to the local police station and include all facts in the divorce petition. Please bear in mind that as far as domestic issues are concerned the various institutions and cells are only a primary measure and divorce can only be granted by a court of law having suitable jurisdiction.

1 person found this helpful, did you? YES

The first thing you need to do is decide if you are willing to give this marriage a chance to work out or do you feel that the difference are irreconcilable to such an extent that divorce is the only option. If you choose to give the marriage a chance then withdrawing the complaint on the grounds that you wish to give things a second chance, does not really hamper your chance of divorce later. If at all things don’t work out you can always approach the family court and initiate the proceeding for divorce, having withdrawn your complain will not really effect the proceedings in any way.

1 person found this helpful, did you? YES

DISCLAIMER: The guidance provided above by the lawyers is based solely on the limited information made available to them by the respective querist. These answers are general guidelines and not specific legal advice or legal opinion. All answers are made in individual capacity and do not reflect the opinions of any employer or organisation. Kindly refer to MyLegalWork's Terms & Conditions of use.

Need Legal Help?

Get legal help before its too late! Our legal experts help about 200+ people evryday with the right legal help. All the experts are verified legal professionals with minimum experience of 3 years.

Get Legal Help

Get Legal Help