Employment & Service

Over paid by previous employer

I was previously working with another private limited company. I went on 2 months of sick leave for an operation. I did not join the company back. I have not received the exit letter from them. By mistake the company deposited 2 months extra salary in my account. I did not realise it as I was hospitalized during that period. My wife was operating the account and she used the money for my home loan repayment. The company is asking me to refund the extra money, which they paid to me out by error. Can you please advise what should I do? Whether they can do anything legally if I do not refund the extra pay to me?

Expert Advice

I would advise that you should return the money which was wrongly credited to your account. However, if you have some outstanding payments to be received from the Company, you can request them to set-off the same against the wrongly paid money. Please be informed that the Company can initiate legal proceedings if you fail to return the money wrongly credited to your account.

Did you find this helpful?YES

DISCLAIMER: The guidance provided above by the lawyers is based solely on the limited information made available to them by the respective querist. These answers are general guidelines and not specific legal advice or legal opinion. All answers are made in individual capacity and do not reflect the opinions of any employer or organisation. Kindly refer to MyLegalWork's Terms & Conditions of use.

Need Legal Help?

Get legal help before its too late! Our legal experts help about 200+ people evryday with the right legal help. All the experts are verified legal professionals with minimum experience of 3 years.

Get Legal Help

Get Legal Help