Mother's flat

My mother has a flat in dadar. I am her elder son and i have 2 sisters. I would like to know if my mother can transfer the flat in my name or make a gift deed to me without telling my sisters about such transfer?

Expert Advice

If the Flat is standing only in your Mother's name, you mother can transfer the Flat vide a Gift Deed in your name. However, please be informed that this method of transfer is possible only if the Property was self acquired by your Mother and will not possible if the Property was purchased by your Father and later transferred to your Mother's name. Please note that this is preliminary view on your query.

3 people found this helpful, did you? YES

Your mother can transfer the flat in you name or make a gift deed to you provided that the flat has been purchased by your mother out her own sources of income. However, if it has been inherited by her by virtue of being a nominee of your father, then all the legal heirs including your sisters would have equal rights in the said flat. In the second scenario, the gift deed cannot be executed without the consent of the sisters.

4 people found this helpful, did you? YES

DISCLAIMER: The guidance provided above by the lawyers is based solely on the limited information made available to them by the respective querist. These answers are general guidelines and not specific legal advice or legal opinion. All answers are made in individual capacity and do not reflect the opinions of any employer or organisation. Kindly refer to MyLegalWork's Terms & Conditions of use.

Need Legal Help?

Get legal help before its too late! Our legal experts help about 200+ people evryday with the right legal help. All the experts are verified legal professionals with minimum experience of 3 years.

Get Legal Help

Get Legal Help